Monday, August 4, 2014

The SAT scores

It's done. My application to UT Austin is signed, sealed, and delivered. Now the only thing left is to sit and wait for my acceptance letter. (Which I believe is the most excruciating part) But I've had a revelation. In the middle of the submission process I noticed it was a requirement to send in my SAT scores. Now look, I graduated high school a year ago and only sent my SAT score to one college: UTPA (my current school). I was mortified! How was I going to send the score in? Was it even still possible? (After some research, I found out it was doable to send old SAT scores to a new college...for a price of $20, of course).


My transcripts were sent, my resume was complete, and my SAT score was still pending. I was a wreck. The only way I was able to keep track of my application was through the UT MyStatus. Something you need a username to access, a username I didn't have yet. Oh man, when that UT Austin Office of Admissions email popped up one week later I knew it had to be the username. Five minutes later I was in my UT MyStatues account. I ran my eyes over the 'Completed' tab and what do I see? My SAT score checked off and submitted. I couldn't believe it. How in the world did they end up there? When did I send them? And then it hit me. I sent them my senior year of high school.

I remember, clear as day, sitting in my high school's College and Career room, signing up for the SAT's (my 2nd attempt, btw), and requesting the score to be sent to UTPA and UT Austin. It was always the plan to attend UTPA (my mom's wish), but I always wanted something bigger. I had always loved reading magazines, books, and English was always my best subject. My 17-year-old self thought 'Hey, why not be a writer?' But I was scared to choose an artsy major. People had always told me to stick to the medical profession because doctors and nurses make 'good money'. But I knew I could never survive college level Biology, Chemistry, and Anatomy. I had always struggled with math and sciences and still do. After some heavy thinking I decided to follow what I love and become a writer. The first week of college I changed my major to Journalism.

One year of college later, I find myself applying to UT Austin. Can you believe it? UT freakin' Austin. They have the BEST communications department in the state of Texas! And to think I was worried about SAT scores that were already sent. I have to say I was beginning to doubt if I would be accepted or not. But I'm not anymore. My heart tells me my 17-year-old self sent those SAT scores for a reason. My heart tells me God knew my future before I even could. How amazing is that? To know God had my back this whole time is completely and utterly reassuring. He knew what my heart desired: to write. And I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment